Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Table Top Tombstone with Erin Quiding-Sampson


I’m back on the blog to share this awesome Halloween Tombstone. I love making a special Halloween meal for my family and this will be perfect to add to the spooky décor.



To start off I primed both the front and back pieces with black gesso


I mixed together black paint and medium weight texture paste. I used a brick stencil and then applied a thick coat of paste over most of the tombstones. I purposely left some areas without, to add interest.


This takes quite a while to dry, so I used my heat gun to help it along.
When it was almost dry I added a bit of white sparkle paint to highlight the brick and then I used a metallic copper paint to highlight it all even more.


When that was all dry, I poked a large enough hole into the top- center, of the larger tombstone to place a battery-operated light through.

The first thing I do with the light is to make sure it works, THEN I mess with it! My light had a plastic “flame” covering the bulb. I want to take that off so that the bulb just pokes through the back. You can either take apart the light to get the plastic out or you can carefully use scissors or an exacto knife to cut it off.


I use double sided tape to hold the light in place.
Next, I cut a piece of Velum large enough to cover the back of the RIP tombstone. I stuck it down with double sided tape.
This helps with the lighting.


Then, I cut a strip of 3/4 inch by 11 ½ black cardstock. I scored it on the long side at the ¼ inch and the ½ inch mark. Place ¼ inch score tape on the outer edges as below.


Then stick down 1 side to the area around the light will be and the whole RIP. This makes it so the light filters out the velum and not the sides. Cut off any extra cardstock.


Press the front piece onto the back piece being careful not to block the light.


This was a fun and pretty quick project to make. To make your own head over to the store …https://chipboard.ca/products/tombstone


Thanks for stopping in,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment