Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Mixed Media Canvas with Karen Bearse

I am here today to share my mix media canvas that I made for Creativation 2017. Every member was asked to design a canvas with their photo for the booth. It was great to see all of us together on the wall!


Here is my canvas, very grungy and inky and way over done! I had so much fun making this. I will give you a bit of a tour of this technique layered project. Starting with a canvas with multiple layers of heavy gesso, lots of stenciling with molding, Grit, and Crackle Paste and a little glass bed gel thrown in for fun. Pretty much hit it with everything but the kitchen sink!


This took some pre-planning as some of my chippies were cut & embedded in the molding paste- like the Brick Pattern, while the paste was wet. Then removed, painted and put back in one the paste was dry & the background was painted. This way the pieces were part of the canvas and easier to adhere. Once that was all dry the squares were coloured with Stained Glass and seed beads were dropped in. I repeated this on one of the sides of the canvas as well.


I used Glimmer Mist for the first layer and added Glimmer Glam in places to get that glitter look. The high points were hit with High Impact paint in copper- I am just stuck on copper for this look, just adds such lusciousness!


The chip doily was covered with emboss powder, and topped with a painted gear and jeweled brad. I cut my doily and adhered the other piece on the side of the canvas so it looks like it wraps around.


As this canvas was supposed to represent me I had to use a couple of my favourites- the birds. This one was painted with the copper paint & once very dry (otherwise the emboss powder will adhere everywhere) I heat embossed a stamped image in white. The word Life was highlighted with a black pen to make it stand out.


I totally love this new chippie- one of the Retro light bulbs. This was gessoed first so the yellow would show up & again painted using Glam. The base of the bulb also has a sprinkle of Hammered Metal emboss powder- yes a little detailed but adds to the overall look. The bird was also painted with glam. As a final touch for my canvas I needed some metal so the feather charm dangles cause I love feathers!!! I hope you enjoyed this tour and it inspires you to make a canvas or 2! I think I may make one for each member of my family and hang them together, brilliant! Have a wonderful inky day & I hope that you check out our new releases they are very awesome!

Southern Ridge Trading Co. Supplies:
- Swirl Doily (currently unavailable) but can be made with any of the doily’s available
Other Supplies Used:

- Tattered Angels: Glimmer Glam, Glimmer Mist, High Impact Paint and Stained Glass
- Emerald Creek Craft Supplies: Charms and Hammered Metal Embossing Powder
- Tombow: Mono Aqua Glue
- DecoArt: Crackle Paste
- Ranger Ink: Grit Paste and Glossy Accents
- Golden: Light Modeling Paste
- Liquitex: Super Heavy Gesso and Glass Bead Gel
- Prima Marketing: Micro Beads

Happy crafting!

- Karen






2 comments: