Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Playing with Patina Effect Paste with Karen Bearse

Karen Bearse here today with a fun & quick tutorial on how to create patina pieces using Prima Marketing Patina Effect Paste. This is a wonderful mix media kit with 3 paints that create multiple patina’s without using a chemical reaction. There is also a rust kit available.


Here is the project I used to hold my cool finished patina chip. This tag is actually part of a 2 tag technique class I will be teaching at Goldenshill Papercrafts on May 23rd, in Clifton, VA. There are a lot of Prima paints & powders in this class but today we focus on patina!


I was playing with some chippies trying to get used to this product. I realized this is a great way to play & create embellishments to be used in future projects. The best part, you get to hear what I learned in my experiments. The kit contains a blue, mint-green, & brass paste. Each of them has a different consistency. The blue is slightly gritty, the mint-green very gritty & the brass is more of a heavy bodied acrylic.


Step 1: Starting with a gear chip I painted it with the blue paste and let it dry. Tip: I have learned that the best way to do this is to dab & pounce the paste on in random places. It creates more texture. Leave some spots open for the next colour. If you leave it wet & go to step 2 and do the same, letting some of the paint overlap it gives you a more patina look as the colours blend a bit.


Step 2: I may have had some focus issues as I took pictures of different chippies but you will get the idea of where I am going with this. Add the mint-green in random spots. Dab & pounce it on  to give the paste that texture. Remember the idea is to recreate rusty/patina metal so there are lumps & bumps in that. Let dry.


Step 3: Add the brass paint. Tip-I learned the best way is to apply a small amount of paint with a dry brush. Start by just lightly brushing over the bumpy areas hitting the high points & distressing bits of the edges. Add more paint to taste as you go stopping to have a look at the overall piece until you have the results you want.


Just play with the product to get used to it, there is a learning curve so have fun practicing. In my examples above I created 3 different looks.
#1- I let the paints dry in between application & used the brass colour sparingly. The effect is very bright & colourful.
#2-I applied the first 2 without drying in between. I let the colours overlap somewhat and added much more brass. The effect is much grungier & darker, more of a true patina.
#3- I painted the blue on smoothly, stenciled the mint & then added the brass. The mint even though it is fairly wet held up really well with a stencil leaving a nice gritty yet crisp image. This creates more of a mix media rather than a patina effect but gives you another way to use the product.


Here is a close up of my patina chair. Yes I realize the odds of having a copper Adirondack chair on the beach are slim to none but remember this is art! Anything goes. I hope you get a chance to play with this fun kit & make some patina. You can also try the Rust Effects kit that is applied the same way but gives you… you guessed it, rust!

Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:


Other Supplies Used:

- Prima Marketing: Finnabair Patina Effects Paste
- Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous: Mini Stencil Set #9


If you want to see more of what I have been up to you can find me at karenbearse.blogspot.com with links to my other social media. Have an inky day!

- Karen







2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your techniques and the finished projects are stunning.

    ReplyDelete