Friday, March 24, 2017

Dreamer Mini Travel Journal with Deb Riddell

Hello, it’s Deb here today to share with you a little travel journal that I made with Southern Ridge Trading Company’s Film Strip Section Frame, Cedar Trees, Friends Of Nature and Get Muddy Buddy chipboard embellishments and some recycled manila file folders.


My hubby is retiring later this year and we are planning to hit the road and explore our wonderful country Canada so I thought I’d make some journals to record our adventures.  I’ve a few step out photos on how I made it, hope you will enjoy seeing them!

I started out with a couple of recycled manila file folders and the chipboard embellishments that I had chosen for the cover of my mini journal.


I based the construction of the file folder journal on a video I found on YouTube (click here to view the tutorial by The Paper Addiction), adjusting the measurements on mine to accommodate the size of the Film Strip Section Frame.  The edges of the all the pages were inked with Walnut Stain Distress ink.

The front of the journal was covered with a vintage map of British Columbia I found online and I reinforced the spine of the journal with a piece of Tim Holtz Voyage Design tape.


The tag from the Get Muddy Buddy chipboard set was painted with Brushed Pewter and Silver Metallic acrylic paints and the ‘Be a dreamer’ sentiment stamped onto tissue paper.  The tissue paper stamped sentiment was then adhered to the front of the painted tag with Distress Matte Collage medium.


The small and medium sized Cedar Trees were sealed with the same collage medium and then coloured with multiple colours of green and brown Distress Crayons, adding and subtracting the colours with my finger and a baby wipe until I was happy with them.

Apologies as I seem to have forgotten to take in progress pictures of my next steps!  I embossed the Film Strip Section Frame with Mercury Rising embossing powder from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies and painted the eagle from the Friends Of Nature set with black acrylic paint and then sealed it with DecoArt Gloss varnish.


The prepared chipboard embellishments were then arranged on the journal cover.  The embossed Film Strip Section Frame was centered on the front and the two Cedar Trees positioned inside the frame.  The medium sized cedar tree fits perfectly inside the film strip frame, love when things like that happen!  I popped the small cedar tree up on some fun foam for a bit of dimension.  The Get Muddy Buddy tag was adhered to the lower right corner of the frame and the eagle from the Friends of Nature set adhered to the top left.  A piece of jute was threaded through the back cover of the mini journal for a closure.


Love the tag tuck spots that are incorporated into this mini journal design, I made tags from some file folder off cuts, cut the pull tabs with my WeRMemoryKeepers envelope board punch and added words and phrases from Tim Holtz’s Occasions Small Talk Stickers.


I’ve just started to embellish the inside of the journal but here a few pictures of what I’ve done so far.  Most of the paper used to mat the inside are digital papers from Ephemera’s Vintage Garden.






I stamped Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Large Oak Tree stamp onto some coffee stained muslin to cover this page, think I will be doing that again!


I will go into more detail on the products and techniques that I used on the inside of the journal on my blog, so pop on over if you are interested in learning more.


Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:


Other Supplies Used:

- Tim Holtz for Ranger Ink: Distress Ink, Distress Crayons, Distress Matte Collage Medium, and Distress Archival Ink
- Tim Holtz/Advantus: Voyage Design Tape, Quotations Metallic Stickers, and Occasions Small Talk Stickers
- Tim Holtz for Sizzix: Globe die and Tiny Tabs and Tags die
- We R Memory Keepers: Envelope Punch Board
- Emerald Creek Craft Supplies: Mercury Rising Embossing Powder and Large Oak Tree stamp
- Simon Says Stamp: BE 3x4 Clear Stamp set
- Ephemeras Vintage Garden - Digital Papers

Thanks so much for stopping by today and hope that I’ve given you some ideas on how you can combine multiple chipboard pieces from different Southern Ridge Trading Company sets onto your projects, it’s fun to put them all together to see what you can create.  Have a great weekend everyone and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo









4 comments:

  1. Love love this mini.... The chipboard add's so much texture to the feel of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little album Deb, the Film Strip die looks amazing and I love how you decorated the inside of the album. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project! The cover is cool and woodsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful project, Deb! Love the decorated pages inside as well! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete