Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Pocket Pages for December Daily with Karen Bearse

Happy post-Holiday season!!! Karen Bearse here to help you get that December album done. Every year I participate in Journal Your Christmas or December Daily. I get excited, buy a bunch of product, and figure out what mini album I want to make. I take a bunch of thoughtful photos. Some years I take detailed notes, family quotes…This year was no exception, except this year I am determined to actually make an album!!!! The closest finished album is my 2012 book- I am on New Year’s Eve. 2011 goes up to day 6, but it was my first year so I cut myself some slack. 2013 has 10 days completed- not in any particular order. 2014 has zero done. 2015 I made a small decorated box that housed equally small photos. This is the year my book will be complete I can feel it!


Here is my finished pocket page. My album is a standard 6x8 which is the size of the biggest photo that fits. This pocket page protector has 12 “2x2” slots which leaves room for a whole lot of fun!  Chippies are one of my favourite December embellishments & Southern Ridge Trading Co. has some great ones for the holidays. I am trying desperately to keep this project simple but still looking good. This means, what can I do that doesn’t take lots of time? I limited myself to 3 techniques and plan to carry this through the book.


Technique 1- embossing. The snowflakes are embossed using different Emerald Creeks powders. My white flake has soft fallen snow & while this was still hot I added a sprinkle of Onyx Frost- which adds a black sparkle & heated again until set. The red one was painted with candied apple distress & while the distress is still wet sprinkle Winters Mistake and heat emboss. I LOVE THESE POWDERS! Be sure to colour both sides of your chippies if they are going to be added in a clear pocket as I have done. When you turn the page the backside of the snowflakes will look good.


Technique 2-colour with markers. First I painted the chippie with gesso to create a white surface but also I wanted to do a bit of watercolour. The gesso prevents the paint from the marker from being absorbed into the chippie so I was able to add a bit of water to get a watercolour effect. The brown trunk was painted with Glimmer Glam.  If you are putting the trees in a clear pocket make sure to colour both sides. The great thing about this is you can change the colours on the back of the chippies to match your back page.


Technique 3- paint & glitter. The word chip “joy” was painted with Glimmer Glam & while still wet sprinkled with micro glitter. The paint dries and holds the glitter. I added a thin layer of glossy accents to give it a bit of an epoxy look. As Glam has glitter in it my piece now has 2 sizes & colours of glimmer.


Assembly- I added my pics for the day, including a piece of art I finished. Make sure you add your art into your scrapbooking. It is fun to look back & see the progression. Next I cut some sayings & the day (12) from my scrapbook paper. My snowflake chippies needed friends so I added some sequins, glitter shapes a pinch of iridescent shimmer powder which looks like fresh snow. To seal the pocket simply stitch across the top. Other options are to use a piece of washi tape.


A bit of coloured tinsel was put in the pocket behind the reindeer which was adhered to the front of the pocket. The pocket was sealed with washi tape. The backside of my page will already have 5 pockets full so I am almost halfway done with another day! I hope you take some time this month to reflect on your holiday & get some of your memories archived!

Southern Ridge Trading Co. Supplies Used:

Other Supplies Used:

- Tombow: Aqua liquid glue, Xtreme tape runner and Dual Brush Pens.
- Emerald Creek Craft Supplies: Soft Fallen Snow, Northern Lights, Winters Mistake and Onyx Frost Embossing Powder.
- Canvas Corp Brands: Paper - Jolly Countdown on White.
- Tattered Angels: Glimmer Glam in Espresso Bean.
- Tim Holtz for Ranger Ink: Distress Stain - Candied Apple.
- Gesso.
- Recollections: Glitter Shapes Blue Stars.
- Misc: Sequins and Micro glitter.

Remember to join in this month’s challenge to win free chippies!!! There a lot of new fun holiday pieces. Have a great inky day!

- Karen






No comments:

Post a Comment