Monday, May 30, 2016

Fly Beautiful Butterfly with Guest Blogger Kim Evans


We are excited to welcome our second guest blogger this month, Kim Evans, owner of Emerald Creek Craft Supplies.  Kim has created a beautiful card for you today using a variety of different chipboard pieces. Sit back and relax with a cup of coffee and enjoy reading about how Kim created her card.


A while back I met an awesome lady, Karen Beaupre, owner of Southern Ridge Trading Co. Her chipboard and wood die cuts were amazing. The intricacies & details were absolutely divine.


When an opportunity came to guest design for her I was thrilled. The assignment - 'Anything Feminine' - piece of cake!


ha Ha HA!? I was so frustrated by my project and trying to narrow down what should go on it and what colour combos. I kept adding too many pieces NS did not have a flow but then, my sister routed through my bag, grabbed a random paper cutoff and Sizzix letter die, and I was off. When I was done, I carried the project with me for a day because I wasn't in love with it yet. I looked at it in different light, got people's reactions, and then took it apart.

I took my favorite parts and starting layering, then after stepping back, swearing and learning to breathe, my brain finally kicked in. Removal of one clock piece and replacing it with an Emerald Creek Butterfly, stamped and fussy cut several times and i finally had the completed project.

So here are the steps:

First) I grabbed the Mini Set 4 Gothic Stencil and inked it with Tim Holtz/Ranger Ground Espresso ink pad then placed it "dirty" on my cardstock.  I squeezed the texture paste onto my pallet knife and began to spread across the stencil. As I spread the paste around, the ink was picked up and started to marble through the paste, giving the perfect background.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gmC-tdmYuSQ/V0ekG5o0XBI/AAAAAAAAAE8/nA1gVGpsp_At6l0xNgsSgYmu9dtfGUNTACK4B/s320/2016-05-07%2B22.08.06.jpg

Second) Using the largest Dress chipboard I painted with Picket and fence and Wilted Violet paints (Tim Holtz/Ranger), then Embossed with iridescent shimmer on the skirt, clear on the bodice and fallen snow on the bottom ruffle. then inked the fallen snow with the violet mini ink.

Third) spray stained the butterfly with Silver and Wilted Violet Spray Stain (Tim Holtz/Ranger)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UVXGBDRZSz0/V0ekTCEqGVI/AAAAAAAAAFE/oyxSLxAeksIMlfMwqZnDMdkbWNQMrh-tgCK4B/s200/2016-05-24%2B21.08.47.jpg

Fourth) Embossed the square frame with Verdi Gris embossing powder and inked with Espresso Alcohol Ink for a few second to dull down the green.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pIPX02PNDFc/V0enBtEJXeI/AAAAAAAAAGw/nQ3nzpUdHBUkxi6ulIIwRTSWFYQTth4-wCK4B/s200/2016-05-24%2B19.54.11.jpg

Fifth) Layered the papers using the pasted piece, the pink random printed card stock and a bunch of Core'dinations distress sheets. I then placed everything so I knew where to put the frame.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OXj0-2e02H4/V0ekomZ5n5I/AAAAAAAAAFU/wbRnpJwmihA5SBIIXSD_hOthoOUykkiwQCK4B/s200/2016-05-24%2B21.09.30.jpg

Sixth) I mixed up Ice resin placed the Shoe Charms in the frame, poured the ready resin over and let set for a few hours. then placed the butterfly chipboard to the top of the shoe straps.

Seventh) while everything dried I started pulling charms and paper flowers. then I grabbed the eighties dried flowers, something was still missing, perhaps a bit of sparkle, and I LOVE the Ice Resin German Glasses, but how to use them? A bit of smeared glue and then sprinkle excessively. AWESOME!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7H3SYQxkNjc/V0elF2nEmvI/AAAAAAAAAF0/1eKXzbFl3Jklg9xhv7axI_EOtJVwULNSQCK4B/s200/2016-05-25%2B07.16.33.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-azpRW7dWeAg/V0emIFbNG0I/AAAAAAAAAGY/SnB9h9mJuUMBDWSk0YWxvsHVZQ7RUEmvQCK4B/s200/2016-05-25%2B10.27.43.jpg

Eight) Cut out the letters F L Y and smear into the spray stain overspray from the chipboard butterfly. Edge the letters with the Wilted violet Marker, add more charms, ribbon on the dress and to tie the charms to the top

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h3pFef_DQxQ/V0elbWpUYpI/AAAAAAAAAGA/ODhNU7iOBnQ3PUKRPOyJ8N3dXm5yvsuaQCK4B/s200/2016-05-25%2B06.58.33.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-B5J6Gpx4RjM/V0elsqMeBaI/AAAAAAAAAGM/53rOJID-w54nsI-n99WKc_OLQhuY2lsBQCK4B/s200/2016-05-25%2B19.28.58.jpg

Ninth) Coat the mini fussy cut butterflies in Tombow glue and dip into the German Glass, bend up wings and glue over shadow stamped butterflies.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GMTrV3-D3nM/V0emvZ9JUKI/AAAAAAAAAGk/fbUC3eGVUZcrvhNoiA7sIt9hCo-d7JBaQCK4B/s200/2016-05-26%2B10.54.45.jpg

And we are DONE!


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-54s4ZUtsrWg/V0ejblM4-5I/AAAAAAAAAEw/4slba94kbrUlatDQLt-ecxOaWmUlJStTQCK4B/s400/2016-05-25%2B21.15.42.jpg

Thank you Southern Ridge Trading Co. for the fun products and chance to mix so many pieces.

Southern Ridge Items:

Other Supplies:
Emerald Creek Embossing Powders
Verdis Gris, Iridescent, Soft Fallen Snow, Clear Gloss
Emerald Creek Stamp
Small Butterfly
Emerald Creek Embellishments
Charms: Wish, Filigree Leaf, Violin, shoes, Daisy Brad

Stampers Anonymous by Tim Holtz
Mini Stencil set #4, the Gothic one

Sizzix by Tim Holtz
Boardwalk Die

Ranger Distress Inks and Stains by Tim Holtz
Ground Espresso, Wilted Violets, Brushed Pewter, Picket Fence, Emboss It

Ice Resin
Ice Resin, German Glass: Chartreuse, Salmon, Sky Blue

Dina Wakley 
Media Palette Knife

Prima
Cream Paste, Flower

Core'dinations - Distress by Tim Holtz
Peeled Paint, Old Paper

Tombow
Mono Multi Liquid Glue

Misc Items
Glue Gun, Random 80's dried flowers, ATG Tape Gun

Thanks for stopping by!
-Kim

2 comments:

  1. Love it Kim, gorgeous colours and love all the sparkle! Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my Goodness! I'm getting caught up because my internet finally decided to work consistently if I position my laptop just right. The more you know!

    Anyway! Wow, again! I love this, Kim! All the sparkle and that amazing Gothic stenciling! I am so going to try that technique! I've never seen it done before, but your results are incredible! I love how you colored and embossed the dress and the stamp frame! Bravo, my friend! You knocked your Guest Designer project out of the park! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete