Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Joy to the World Wall Hanging with Sandy McTier


How about some Christmas in September?!! You can never start painting too early for the holidays, and I hope this inspires to you create something “Christmasy” today!

Absolutely love this Holly Berry Branch (coming to the SRTC website soon) and thought it was perfect to adorn an ornament or accompany a bow on a present.
I love the IPC Foam Brushes by Dynasty for painting on the chipboard pieces! I loaded the dry brush with some gesso, working it into the sponge to get rid of the excess sitting on top. Next, I gently brushed it back and forth to cover the piece. A tooth pick works great to get any excess gesso or paint out of the cutout sections.   


Once the gesso was completely dry, I painted in the holly leaves with DecoArt Americana Irish Moss and shaded them with Plantation Pine. I painted in the berries with a mixture of Alizarin Crimson and a touch of Titanium White and then added some shading to them with Alizarin Crimson.






It was time to leave the leaves alone for a while and let them dry, so I painted the bow Lamp Black and let it completely dry. Next, I painted it with DecoArt Media Metallic Silver. 




While the bow was drying, I painted the ornament with a mixture of Cobalt Turquoise Hue and Titanium White. Then, of course, it needed some splatter,  so I splattered on some Titanium White. After sitting for a couple of minutes, I placed a soft paper towel on top of the ornament and lightly pressed. I love the way this softens the splatter! 




I thought this Stampendous stamp was perfect for my ornament! Inked it up with some Staz-on black ink, covered the words to the right to keep them from transferring and stamped the word ‘Joy’. (Tip: Once you ink up the stamp, stamp it onto a piece of scrap paper. Re-ink the stamp and then go to the piece. The ink sticks better to the ink already on the stamp and your image will almost always come out just right!) Then I removed the tape from the smaller words and inked them up, covered the word ‘Joy’ with tape and added the smaller words to the ornament.


I added some more highlights and shading to the leaves, stem, bow and berries and then glued it onto my ornament. I sealed everything with DecoArt Media Soft-Touch Varnish. I plan on hanging the ornament with either a ribbon or thin wire.


I hope this inspires you to create something “Christmasy” today!!

Southern Ridge Trading Company Supplies Used:

 - Holly Berry Branch - 3.3x5.0 (coming soon)

Other Supplies Used:

 - Square Bracket Ornament #31-L237 – www.cdwood.com
- Stampendous: Stamp – Joy Has Come #RS-M334
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Sap Green & Green Gold
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Irish Moss, Plantation Pine, and Alizarin Crimson
- DecoArt Media: White Gesso & Soft-Touch Varnish
- Dynasty Brushes: 3/4" Wash, 1/4" & 3/8" Angle and Mezzaluna (Sm)
- Other Supplies: E6000, Wire or Ribbon of choice to hang


©2018 Joy to the World Ornament, Sandy McTier Designs ~ All Rights Reserved

Y’all have a GREAT day; Happy Creating!! Sandy







No comments:

Post a Comment