Friday, May 6, 2016

Sara Emily is Back!

Over the last couple of months we have enjoyed having Sara Emily as a guest designer. Today is her last post with us and we thank her for all of her wonderful inspiration. Stay tuned for another guest designer later this month!


Hello everyone! It's Sara Emily here, and I'm happy to be back to join the talented Design Team for a day as Guest Designer! I have made a vintage panel using two of Southern Ridge Trading Company's most delicate and feminine chipboard pieces.


My design came together with inspiration from a stash of wedding dress lace pieces adorned with the prettiest pearls and the dressmaker form from the Dressmaker Mix.  No, the lace is not from my wedding dress, but found in a box of other goodies at an estate sale. All I had to do was cut out appropriate pieces.



All chipboard was given a coat of gesso and dried. Next the body of the dressmaker form and the flourishes (end pieces cut from the Swirl Corners) were painted with Distress paint, Antique Linen, and the remainder of the pieces with Weathered Wood. Once dry I coated the body only with Distress Crazing medium, using wide strokes to give a linen look.  The "wooden" parts of the form and the frame, which is the outer frame holding all the Dressmaker Mix pieces together, were coated with DecoArt Crackle Medium, and all left to dry. I swiped on Distress crayons in neutral colours to show off the cracks and texture. Pearls were added to the flourishes.


The background was created using vintage book paper adhered to card. I splattered with watered down Gloss Modge Podge and left to dry. This was a technique my good friend Pamellia of My Little Craft Things used on the beautiful birthday card she so lovingly made and sent to me. Be sure to pay her a visit regularly, if you haven't already! You will be forever inspired not only by her lovely artwork, but her fabulous photography! When dry, I blended with Distress ink in Victorian Velvet and heat dried. Lastly, Golden crackle paste was applied thinly through a Tim Holtz mini stencil. I love how the colour bled through in a lighter shade--I knew this would happen from previous experience, and was intentional.

All I had to do now is to arrange my lace and chippies, add some additional bits of lace, a piece of tulle and some vintage buds, and I have a tag so feminine and perfect to adorn a wedding, Bridal shower, Mother's Day, or even a birthday gift.



I would like to thank Karen and Katelyn and the rest of the Design Team for allowing me to craft along side them today! It was such fun! Please be sure to check back frequently to see what  projects the Design Team has for you, and I encourage you to enter the current challenge Anything Feminine.

Hugs and Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation and great treatment on the chipboard pieces. Designers can see the possibilities using Southern chipboard products

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Sara, love the crackle finishes and all the lovely touches of lace! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete